|HOLY WEEK & EASTER SCHEDULE 2017
NO 12:10 Mass
Holy Thursday Mass 7:00 PM
Romanian Congregation Attending
|Friday Apr 14
NO 12:10 Mass – Office Closed
Good Friday Walk – 12 noon
Altar Server Rehearsal – 2:00 pm
Good Friday Service – 3:00 pm
| Saturday Apr 15
Decorate Church – 9:30 am
Altar Server Rehearsal – 11:00 am
Easter Vigil – 8:00 PM
| Sunday Apr 16
Masses at 9:30 am and 11:00 am
NO 4:00 pm Mass
| Monday Apr 17
Easter Monday – NO 12:10 pm Mass
9:30 am ONLY – Office Closed
At the first opportunity after the two Iraqi refugees arrived at Pearson Airport on Jan. 31, 2017, they were welcomed by many parishioners after the Feb. 5th's 9:30 mass. The brother-sister family, Fadi and Mallak were joined by their relatives living in Brampton.
Many pictures are posted on the Homepage Slider-photos as well as under the Picture Gallery (under Gallery in the Top Navigation Menu) - http://www.olphtoronto.com/gallery/picture-gallery/2013-onto/2016.html
There are two events with the Refugees so far - their arrival at the Airport and the Welcoming by Parishioners, They are naturally in 2017 but they are temporarily posted in the "Main Events of 2016-2017".
Welcoming Iraqi refugees to Canada (Jan. 31, 2017)
At long last, the Iraqi refugees finally arrived at Pearson Airport on Jan. 31, 2017. The brother-sister family, Fadi & Mallak, was warmly welcomed by some members of the OLPH Resettlement Committee - Larry Pick (co-chair). Bob Lewis (Communications) and Marie Millien (Comm. Secretary). The other committee members were busy preparing to help the new arrivals settle into their accommodations, etc (below). They were also welcomed by their relatives from Brampton, i.e., Makram and his sister, Makarum, interpreter and future neighbour Hazar, a recent Syrian immigrant herself.
Pictures taken at the welcoming at the airport are posted in the Slider pics on Homepage. Additional pictures will be posted shortly in the Picture Gallery under "Gallery" in the Top Navigation Menu.
Numerous activities have been planned for the new arrivals.
- They were first driven to Quaker House and shown to their room on the arrival day - with the welcome basket in place from Committee member Jaime and her team. Fadi and Mallek were in good spirits but naturally tired after the long trip. A soft snow fell through the evening and the City looked warm and comforting. We are very lucky to have the help and open arms of Quaker House.
- Fadi and Mallak have federal health papers, SIN, permanent resident papers and passport with Canadian Visa.
- Tomorrow Jaime will pay a visit in the morning. We will make arrangements later tomorrow to have Fadi and Mallak sign the lease and hopefully pick up the keys to the apartment.
- On Thursday, Feb. 2nd, we will arrange the move of furniture and effects into the new apartment. We have the cube van and driver/owner Paul Pierobon from OLPH, together with a moving team courtesy of Scott Samuel the OLPH Youth Minister. Larry will have a car for members of Scott's team (4 seats).
- On Friday, co-chair Linda Tyndall will meet with Fadi and Mallack to arrange banking and financial affairs.
Good news after a long wait for them and for us!
We have learned that our family of two has been cleared to travel from Amman, Jordan, to Toronto this month. The simple iPhone message from Fadi belied the years of anxiety he and his sister (Iraqi Christians) have faced -- first fleeing ISIS from their home in Iraq, then dealing with two years of uncertain days in Amman. As he put it stoically "I just received a call from the embassy that our travel to Canada will be on January 31 and they'll tell us the details of the flight later. See you soon."
Appropriately, we received Fadi's email this past Sunday, the Church's “World Day of Migrants and Refugees”..
Larry Pick, Co-chair of OLPH Refugee Committee Read More
Many 2016 pictures have been posted in the "Picture Gallery" under the "Gallery" Top Nav menu. However, due to some technical issue, they were posted under the Year 2015. This has been resolved and the 2016 gallery is now updated on its own.
These include the following area:
- renovations in the church, including large scaffolding
- some Holy Week service
- Confirmation and First Communion
- OLPH School students & families.
If you find any captions to be incorrect or needs improvement, please contact the webmaster.