Welcoming Iraqi refugees to Canada (Jan. 31, 2017)
At long last, the Iraqi refugees finally arrived at Pearson Airport on Jan. 31, 2017. The brother-sister family, Fadi & Mallak, was warmly welcomed by some members of the OLPH Resettlement Committee - Larry Pick (co-chair). Bob Lewis (Communications) and Marie Millien (Comm. Secretary). The other committee members were busy preparing to help the new arrivals settle into their accommodations, etc (below). They were also welcomed by their relatives from Brampton, i.e., Makram and his sister, Makarum, interpreter and future neighbour Hazar, a recent Syrian immigrant herself.
Pictures taken at the welcoming at the airport are posted in the Slider pics on Homepage. Additional pictures will be posted shortly in the Picture Gallery under "Gallery" in the Top Navigation Menu.
Numerous activities have been planned for the new arrivals.
- They were first driven to Quaker House and shown to their room on the arrival day - with the welcome basket in place from Committee member Jaime and her team. Fadi and Mallek were in good spirits but naturally tired after the long trip. A soft snow fell through the evening and the City looked warm and comforting. We are very lucky to have the help and open arms of Quaker House.
- Fadi and Mallak have federal health papers, SIN, permanent resident papers and passport with Canadian Visa.
- Tomorrow Jaime will pay a visit in the morning. We will make arrangements later tomorrow to have Fadi and Mallak sign the lease and hopefully pick up the keys to the apartment.
- On Thursday, Feb. 2nd, we will arrange the move of furniture and effects into the new apartment. We have the cube van and driver/owner Paul Pierobon from OLPH, together with a moving team courtesy of Scott Samuel the OLPH Youth Minister. Larry will have a car for members of Scott's team (4 seats).
- On Friday, co-chair Linda Tyndall will meet with Fadi and Mallack to arrange banking and financial affairs.